Blog Archive

Monday 1 October 2012

Research

In our coursework groups we had to decide which part of research we are going to do. Callum decided he would do the main research on the Thriller genre. Me, Annie and Rachel decided we would analyse the opening sequences of various thriller films. Below, is Callum's first part of the research on Genre. This will help all the groups understanding of Thrillers as he has shared what he has learned with us.
First page of research 
Second page of research
Reading this helped me a lot as it gave me a wider knowledge on thrillers and sub genres. I now that Thrillers are supposed to "keep you on the edge of your seat". This is important because as a group, we will need to think about how we will try and achieve that effect. Another thing this has helped me with is the lighting in thriller films. Before reading this I did not fully understand how the lighting affected the atmosphere, however, I have learnt that if you use darker lighting it will help make the scene look mysterious and dangerous. Looking at the sub genres part was very interesting as I could get a more advanced insight on how films can use two different genres to make it more interesting (example - Crime thrillers). Callum has used a lot of example movies when explaining the different type of sub genres. This helps me as I can now go and view them to pick out the different aspects of the genres. I think Callum has done this task exceptionally well as I now have a more advanced knowledge on thriller and sub genres, and how they are used. If I going to add anything I would of added more information to how the thriller genre is used within the media.

1 comment: