Sunday 4 November 2012

Learning Progess: Media Studies

In Media Studies I feel that I have progressed since starting the course. So far I have built up a wide understanding on the key concepts of Genre and why it is important, how to analyse a media text breifly and how to pick out the specific areas of camera and sound. I have also written two essays so far: One on Binary Opposition, focusing on a Titanic extract and one on a Primeval extract.

When I first looked at Genre at the beginning of the course I struggled to understand the definition as Genre is so varied. However, because I then went into researching about the Thriller Genre I had a more specific topic which helped me learn better. I feel that I have a wider knowledge on Genre since taking part in the course as I have done several bits of resarch which gave me an adanced understanding and knowledge on what the Thriller Genre is and how it has changed over the years. The research parts I completed were: Analysis of the opening of thriller films and the history of the Thriller Genre. Both of the researches I have completed helped me gain a better understanding of Genre in general and the Thriller Genre. Secondly, I have learnt that any kind of media text can be analysed as what the writer or director has included in the piece was put there for a reason. The reason may be to engage the audience or to give them a more advanced insight on the storyline and how a character may feel. I have looked at several different media texts and extracts and focused on the camera to see how the director is representing something or someone. Learning different types of camera angles and positions also helped me notice and pick out them myself. I also found out how important the sound is within a text as sound is used to create a mood or tone. This has taught me that when I make the opening of my film, me and my group will need to think cafrefully about the sound to see if it is relevent and if it is creating the correct mood or tone we want to acheive. I feel fairly confident analysing the sound and camera of any type of media text. However, I still think I have a lot to improve upon as I am new with the terms that I have currently been learning and the ones that I am still learning are hard to memorise as I am not familiar with them. Thirdly, I have learnt how to structure a Media essay. When I wrote my first essay on Binary Opposition focusing on the Titanic extract I did not understand that the essay is supposed to all be techinal analysis. I wrote the essay very descripitively which gave me a lower mark as I recived a C-. After receiving my targets and how I should improve I then went onto writing my second essay which was on an extract from a TV series: Primeval. Focusing on my targets I then recieved a Level 3 which was an improvment to my first attempt. I still need to learn more technincal terms and signs for Media so that when I write my report it will be to the best of my ability.

Overall, I am content with the amount I have progressed over the last six weeks of Media Studies. Even though I feel as if I have a wide kntowldge on what I have previously spoke about I still feel as if I have a lot to improve upon and I will look into what further progress I will need to make. The area which I have struggled most with in the last six weeks would be signs. I am still not completely confident with using the different types of signs in my reports which I have been writing as I am not sure of the definitions. I will revise and try and improve my confidence when using the different signs.

Targets so far:
Revise Semiotics: Indexical, Iconic, Symbolic signs



1 comment:

  1. Jess, this is a detailed and thoughtful reflection on your progress, demonstrating the high level of engagement that you have made in the course so far.

    I am very pleased with the way that you are approaching AS Media.

    Mr. M.

    ReplyDelete