Friday 9 November 2012

Improving My Skills..

From my previous essay I received two targets which were:

  • Be more detailed in your analysis of editing - pace and style.
  • Be more detailed in your analysis of sound.
I have decided to look at two extracts and pick out the types of editing and analyse the sound further. I think this will help me when I come to writing my next essay as I will have a more advanced knowledge on how to write about editing and sound.

The first clip that I am analysing is Child's Play (I have only analysed up to 5 minutes)


Sound - The sound from this extract changes dramatically as in the first half of the extract, the sound which is used is mostly diagetic sound of the characters talking. However, the sound of doors slamming is non diagetic sound as it has been added in to make more of an effect. In the second half, the non diagetic sound comes in which is very parallel in the scene as the character is feeling sad and exhausted at the time and the slow music reinforces the characters mood. The ambient sounds in the background such as the noise of traffic and cars outside of the apartment help make the scene look realistic. The scene then goes onto a sudden contrast to what it was like before, as suddenly sharp non diagetic noises start to come in resulting in a dramatic change in the mood and tone of the film. This already creates an ominous tone in the scene connoting something bad may happen to the character as the sharp sounds are very negative. The sound then carries on and is very breathtaking as the sound is very violent which again is parallel because a fight is currently happening in the scene. Whilst, the diagetic sound of the character screaming help reinforce the violence and pain as the sound of her screaming is exaggerated.

Editing - The first thing that I noticed was the shot reverse shot between the boy and the doll. This creates quite a fast pace in the scene as it is very hurried. This also denotes his anger towards the doll as the pace of the editing is so fast that the scene all of a sudden has a dramatic effect. Eye line match is also used between the mother and the boy which conveys the equal status between them and how they both view each other. When the mother returns home home in the scene, the shots are quite fast which contrasts with her body language and the sound in the scene. The editing, towards the end of the scene also reveals the drama within the scene as the camera is moving really quick from shots of close ups to her face to her body which creates an aggressive and exaggerated  tone in the scene.

The next film I am going to look at and analyse is Tombstone 1993 - I decided to do a slightly older movie as when it comes to creating my coursework I may want it to be old fashioned. 

The film clip - http://youtu.be/WMgp97cODCA

Sound - In the beginning (the first 60 seconds of this extract) there are two different types of non diagetic sound which has been added in for two different effects. Firstly, there is a man talking, much like a narrator describing things to the audience. The second type of non diagetic sound was soothing music quietly playing in the background of the man talking. Both of these non diagetic sounds help make the beginning very calm as each of the different types of sound are very slow. However, the second half of the extract juxtaposes with this. Foley sound then comes into the scene as a gun shot is shown which helps make the scene become dramatic faster. After this, the non diagetic sound continues but is much faster, louder and has a more sharp edge to it. The music is very parallel as it fits in with the mood and tone as the scene is too dramatic and chaotic. It is important that they use the music to reinforce the tone in the scene as it helps make the scene more effective. The sound then suddenly stops which exaggerates what is happening in the scene as a sudden cut and contrast is made. The music then carries on, repeating the breathtaking tone which has already been created. Contrapuntal sound is then shown as in the scene a couple is getting married but the non diagetic sound is very ominous connoting something bad may happen in the scene very soon. 

Editing - The editing of this is very significant but because I am still not familiar with all the editing terms I cannot go into full detail. Firstly, the editing between the shots in the first 90 seconds are very fast as each shot last around 2 seconds. Even though this normally makes a scene dramatic and chaotic, in this it has actually helped make the scene soothing and peaceful as each of the shots are in slow motion. It then goes onto a scene with people eating but suddenly cuts to a close up of a horse running. This editing style is important because it creates a very sinister effect on the scene because it goes from normal to dramatic so suddenly connoting something negative may happen as ominous signs start to appear. There is also a shot reverse shot which again, helps out with the exaggerated effect in the scene. The shot reverse shot is of people looking worried which also reinforces the danger which may occur. 

Overall, I think by analysing and looking closely at these two very different extracts I have added to my knowledge on sound and editing,  Before doing this I had a brief understanding of what sound and editing did within a scene and what effect it had. However, I now have memorised some definitions which will help me in my exam and coursework. I still think I have a lot of progress to make as in these two technical terms as I have not gone into full detail as there is still definitions and meanings I have to learn. 


No comments:

Post a Comment